1. Combine the pork, fennel seeds, thyme, sage, garlic, egg yolk and mustard in a large
bowl and season heavily with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix the ingredients
thoroughly and then divide into eight balls. If the mixture is too wet, add a few spoonfuls of
panko breadcrumbs to bring it together.
2. Place each ball of mince between two sheets of cling film and roll out into a disc shape
about 4mm thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Make a water bath by putting the ice into a large bowl of cold water.
4. Put the eggs in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil on high heat. As soon as
the water comes to the boil, reduce the heat so the water is just simmering and cook for a
further 2 minutes and 15 seconds. Immediately remove the eggs and put them into the iced
water bath to stop the cooking process. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes then very carefully
remove each egg from its shell.
5. Wrap each egg in a layer of mince, moulding the meat tightly around the egg and making
sure there are no trapped air bubbles. Place each wrapped egg in a piece of cling film, twist
to tighten and evenly shape the mince around the egg. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
7. Line up three shallow bowls from left to right. Fill the bowl on the left with the flour,
season with salt and pepper. Place the beaten egg in the middle bowl and the breadcrumbs
in the bowl on the right.
8. Take each pork-wrapped egg and, from left to right, dip in the flour, then in the egg and
finally in the breadcrumbs. Repeat dipping the eggs in the egg and breadcrumbs to give a
9. Heat the vegetable oil to 180°C in a deep fryer or large saucepan. Deep fry the eggs in
batches for 3–4 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon, season with salt and
place on a wire rack. Place the rack in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and
serve immediately if you want to ensure the yolk of the egg is perfectly runny. Scotch eggs
can also be enjoyed cold. Either way, they go perfectly with a few spoonfuls of Piccalilli